City of Dakota City, 1511 Broadway Street, Dakota City, Nebraska 402.987.3448
www. dakotacity.net - THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE FOR THE CITY OF DAKOTA CITY, NE.
Historical Railroad Depot
The City of Dakota City was awarded $129,952 for exterior renovation of the former Dakota City Chicago and Northwestern (C&NW) Railroad Depot. Constructed in 1922, this one-story brick depot building is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Known as a“Class B Depot”, this facility was a key link in the Omaha to Minneapolis rail corridor from 1922 until 1957 when it was abandoned. Passengers would travel to Norfolk where they could connect for travel west or to Omaha for service east. The rails and ties are still located immediately north of the building. The depot is located one block from the Dakota City Public School and 125 feet from the end of the Dakota City Trail (construction Spring, 2006).
As a result of its close proximity to these features, the City has developed a two-phase plan to convert the depot into a trailhead facility for use by the community. Phase 1 funds would be used to renovate the exterior of the building and provide trailhead site improvements. Phase 2 would follow in 2006-07 and would renovate the interior of the depot with restrooms and interpretive railroad equipment displays. The City of Dakota City is providing a local cash match of $32,488.